As you know, Gov. Bill Lee issued a stronger stay-at-home order on April 2 so Tennesseans do our part in slowing the spread of the coronavirus pandemic. Real estate remains an “essential service” as defined in the governor’s previous order, so it is still permissible for REALTORS® to conduct business. The situation is fluid and we want to equip members with the latest information to be able to conduct business responsibly.
- While real estate is listed as essential in Sumner County and at the state level, members must be in route to or in the process of conducting business when traveling under the real estate “umbrella.” Being in real estate is not an exemption to go wherever we wish for any reason.
- The governor left it up to local law enforcement to apply the stay at home order. REALTORS® should be aware of the different enforcement options that could exist in your travels through different municipalities and counties, including but not necessarily limited to traffic stops including warnings, written citations, fines and repeat offenders arrest. Please be mindful and respectful of local officials as they work to keep our communities safe.
- Since enforcement varies by city, it is extremely important to have evidence of your “essential service” status with you at all times, including your business card and preferably a copy of your real estate license. You can print a copy from the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance website if you do not already have one.
- Agents should refer to their brokers for specific policies on listings, showings, office hours, etc. Sumner REALTORS® joins NAR and TN REALTORS® in strongly discouraging open houses and utilizing online tools such as virtual tours when showing properties.
- We encourage members to follow CDC guidelines on precautions and safety measures related to COVID-19. REALTORS® are leaders in the community; we have the opportunity, and the responsibility, to set a positive example for others.
The Sumner REALTORS® office remains open by appointment only. Staff are working remotely and are available via phone, email or appointment to support members, as needed. The TN REALTORS® Legal & Ethics Hotline is also open for members to submit questions.
Stay safe and healthy!
Shellie Young Tucker
2020 Sumner REALTORS® President
Chief Executive Officer