According to Realtor.com, many home buyers start out starry-eyed when they first embark on shopping for a house, with visions of a big backyard, a home office, a cute coffee shop down the block—and much, much more.
The problem? If budgets are tight (as they usually are), then all too soon, those dreams collide hard with reality. It can be a devastating mental adjustment for buyers who aren’t prepared.
Worried your own home search standards might be too much of a stretch? To help, allow Realtor.com to point out some top dream home hopes that experts say you should ditch.
1. The hope that you won’t have to settle
2. The hope that your dream home will be right on (or under) budget
3. The hope that your house will be huge
4. The hope that your dream home will look just like houses on Instagram
5. The hope that your dream house won’t need repairs
6. The hope that remodeling your home will be easy (and cheap)