2024 LEADERSHIP ELECTIONS
THE 2024 BOARD OF DIRECTORS
DARLA NICKENS HUNLEY
Immediate Past President
Sumner REALTORS® fills important volunteer leadership positions through an open and transparent annual election process.
Any REALTOR® member in good standing who meets eligibility requirements may apply or nominate someone for the Board of Directors, Vice President, or Secretary/Treasurer (when applicable). The Nominating Committee and Board of Directors will review all candidates for open positions and appoint the Vice President (annually) and Secretary/Treasurer (every 2 years).
Nominations/Applications are now open until Wednesday, September 20 at 5:00 pm.
Voting will be Monday, October 16 through Tuesday, October 31 at midnight
Board of Directors – minimum of 2 open seats annually
The 12-person Board of Directors is the governing body of the association. The Executive Committee (President, President-Elect, Vice President, Immediate Past President and Secretary/Treasurer) serve on the Board along with seven Directors elected annually by the membership. Members serving on the Board represent their fellow Sumner REALTORS® members in important policymaking decisions and work with staff to develop and implement the association’s strategic plan, among other duties. Directors serve 3-year terms, but members may be elected to fill the remaining portion for a Director who vacates his/her term to pursue an Officer position or for any other reason (e.g. forced resignation because of relocation).
Vice President – one candidate elected annually
The Vice President is a part of the Executive Committee and serves on the Board of Directors. REALTOR® members may apply or be nominated by another member for the position, and the Board of Directors appoints a member to serve as Vice President by voting on qualified candidates and recommendations of the Nominating Committee. Appointed members serve a one-year term as Vice President before automatically ascending to one-year terms as President-Elect, President and Immediate Past President.
Secretary/Treasurer – one candidate elected every two years
The Secretary/Treasurer is a part of the Executive Committee and serves on the Board of Directors. REALTOR® members may apply or be nominated by another member for the position, and the Board of Directors appoints a member to serve as Secretary/Treasurer by voting on qualified candidates and recommendations of the Nominating Committee. Appointed members serve a two-year term.
COMMITMENTS AND EXPECTATIONS
- Directors serve 3-year staggered terms.
- Officers serve 1-year terms, except for Secretary/Treasurer, which is a 2-year term.
- Directors are limited to serving no more than two (2) consecutive elected terms.
- Officers and Directors are expected to attend Board meetings, which typically are held on the third or fourth week of each month, and be available for special called meetings to conduct business that cannot wait until the next regularly scheduled Board meeting.
- Directors will be appointed to serve as a Director Liaison to a committee/task force and are expected to attend those meetings and facilitate recommendations to and from the Board.
- Officers and Directors are expected to participate in membership events to represent the association and gain insight from members regarding current and future programs and services.
- Officers and Directors may be asked to attend specific state and national meetings, as determined by the annual budget. Travel expenses are reimbursed.
- All candidates must be active REALTOR® members in good standing at the time of their nomination and when they take office. The Nominating Committee gives special consideration to members who are or have been actively involved in the local, state or national association.
- Officer candidates must be currently serving on the Board of Directors or have served previously for no less than one (1) term as a Director.
- The Nominating Committee cannot recommend any candidate as a Director if it would allow more than three current or proposed Board members from the same company to serve at the same time.